Monday, November 14, 2005

Dear Mother Nature...

Dear Mother Nature,
We have to talk here. I was just fine on a 16 Venom and 142, nicely powered at Arroyo Laguna, when my bar got caught in some heavy kelp which made the kite go crashing down. I could have been shark food here! Can you please get rid of the kelp or at least, lighten the bunch at the good kiting spots? PULEAAAAASE???

And so it goes,... that was my story.
Traig and I went up to Cambria to kite. The forecast was em...err.. just a LITTLE OFF! It was supposed to be smokin' wind, man. What happened to the forecast?!!!@#!??! Even Vic and Paul drove up, believing in the forecast. I waited and waited for the wind to pick up. The original kiete addict was, of course, already out on his 19V and fish. I wanted the wind to pick up a little bit before I attempted my go-out. Sigh... And then I decided to borrow Paul's board since it was light (big mistake), and went out on my 16V and was completely lit on the outside.

On my way back in to switch to my 132 (I love my FLX 132, btw), I caught some kelp and faceplanted over the board. When I tried to get back to it, the kelp was so thick that I had a hard time to get upwind of the board. Then a BIG THICK kelp ball grabbed a hold of my bar and it was all over. ALL OVER. Kite goes down, I can't get it back up (yes, I suck), and I lose the board. Sigh.... There I am, drifting downwind, totally sharkbait. About half an hour later, Kitemonkey finally came to my rescue. But, I had to let go of my kite and bar to get in. At the end, I lost Paul's board, lost my SECOND bar, and gained some genuine hatred for kelp. Sure, kelp has its good points - such as keeping the water less choppy on the inside for a smooth kiteboarding ride, and... I guess it may have some nutritional value? In any case, I will now stay as far away from kelp as possible.

When will these lessons and "paying my dues" stop?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home