Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Kitesurf addiction rehab



A nice little ripping sensation zippered through my right hip about four weeks ago while heading out on a goofy foot stance through a wave kitesurfing. There was an obvious s/s injury but the pain was very low and managable/ trivial at the time and the waves were good so ignoring my own advice, I kept kitesurfing...for the next four weeks daily as well as surfing, biking, running, etc... as the condition worsened and could no longer be ignored along with my painful right knee which greatly prefers no strap kiting now (though some camera stuff had me doing otherwise) and proper and consistant joint support work/crosstraining, our perfect kitesurf weather of late would just not allow.

Not being able to sleep last night with the pain in my hip and an aching knee put me on the wind rejection train for...er... well one day so far. They say start fighting an addiction one day at a time. The wind was smoking all day and fortunately shipping, kites, tons of work on the phone, internet, customers and paitients coming by kept me from going absolutely crazy. When the wind bowed over trees outside of my door, had me doing the kitesurf withdrawel two step, the good old lap swimming pool up at Malibu Park saved me. It was windy enough to even kite there today, darn it. Almost rigged my 12 m synergy on the pool deck.

Got a call from our paragliding bud Steve who took the nasty fall and destroyed one lumbar vertebrae(replaced with spindle) and severely compromised another. He has a year of rehab in front of him and is in hopes of getting back under his paragliding wing in seven months. Point is... there actually is one this time...honest, really,,what the hell was it?? Oh,yeah; When you injure yourself, take the time to properly rehab. Scar tissue now can lead to a very serious surgery later that could well be disabling. That and cary a trash bag in your car, when it fills up you can just toss it in the can...More so the first point though as Steve Martin already belabored the second.

So it is no straps after time for resting the hip and lots of joint support work for this water monkey. Indoors at a gym on a nice day is the most counter intuitive thing possible to my outside mind but will do it for the knee and other joints. The local one is pretty quiet and the girls stop talking to you in about three minutes when they see your watch is not a real Rolex/you make a joke about their plastic surgeon choice or... so distractions from the job at hand (joint support and not watching the wind and waves out the window) are transient and self limiting.

Tomorrow it is another mountain bike ride early, then the gym, work on the P wagon, audition work and talk myself out of kitesurfig for just a few minutes more till the pool opens and escape from the arenaline kite wave sailing craving in favor of the endorphin rush of a good swim workout. Maybe a paraglide in the morning.

These are a few pictures of a couple of heffer babes who are always there to help me launch my paraglider. Once again, it is always good to have friends.. MOOOOOOOOOve your but monkeyboy and get in the air!!

3 Comments:

At 9:06 AM , Blogger Joe Agliozzo said...

Good advice Traig! I am down myself with a broken rib (nothing day at Sunset but managed to do it anyway)..

Feeling a lot better after 2 weeks but I can already feel myself fighting the urge to kite too soon (supposed to be six weeks but can I make it back in 3? better not...)

See you in Mex (hopefully!) some time..

 
At 1:53 AM , Blogger _nice_ said...

I think thats the best way to stop those people who likes it. Because if they still doing that thing maybe they can meet an accident, that can make them die. Just make it a few times a month. Or have something to do to make you busy.

_________
jake
Addiction treatment and recovery resources for the addict and their families. http://www.addictiontreatment.net

 
At 10:43 PM , Blogger Chris said...

Loved these pictures, thank you for uploading here!


Slingshot Octane

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home