Saturday, May 22, 2010

The vicarious and spiritual thrills in life











Was working on the new Happyinsurf.com website yesterday with my sister and brother in law who have always been phenomenal help through this life of water,waves, wind and deadlines. My cell phone kept ringing and the emails kept popping up of friends reporting great wind and wave sessions at the beach, viewings of our bud Allidad in his Nissan commercial kitesurfing for Nissan (viewed during the Philli pro football game.), a high level Tibetan Monk with Dr Vasilev and his very kind offering of blessing our baby if he came while the monk was still here and a plethora of calls involving friends who had a day of paragliding, biking, stand up paddling and just enjoying life. The greatest voice of course was Sarah's at home working and telling me about the babies hyjinx in the belly penthouse. He is hanging out as long as possible and ignoring the OB's friendly eviction notice. He is going to come when he is darn ready. Though behind a computer screen, it was a fantastic day of living life and interacting with a everyones adventures second hand.
Gregor and his wife Lisa are both M.D.s and G has been studying the Budhist traditions for many years now with innumerable trips to Asia and even having many Tibetan Monks visit him here, once even going in his racing go carts.. Now those were some funny pictures of robes and burning rubber.. This brought to mind my wonderful experience with Sarah at the Hindu Temple in Kaui recently. We had gone there twice to take in the amazing beauty and meditate while the monks were chanting mantras behind the red curtains. The enormous Lemurian crystal in front of us with the other art felt extra worldly for someone like myself who has not spent the time around such artifacts as my wife has. Having just been wearing shorts on my arrival at the temple, I was obliged to put on a sorang to fit with the rules. So after having been rousted by a friendly but assertive monk apprentice that we were seated on the wrong sides of the temple as there is a girl's and guy's side, figured it was time to walk the grounds and take in the beauty. The visitors we saw in the two days of our visit there were all quite involved in introspection and worship. The monks could be seen walking the amazing grounds beyond the "do not enter this area" sign in their red robes and even swimming in the most amazing sacred pool below the two cascading water falls. I can only say I am very flattered for the mistake but a very nice Indian couple politely asked me if it was ok first, to walk past a small treed area to view a statue and I answered, "I suppose so, we did, so why not"... They then found me a bit later and asked if they could proceed past a small fence and maybe head down towards the monks' area of the pools, etc.. I was in the process of giving them the " I think the keep out sign means we really should not be going there, but you could probably pull it off without anyone chasing you down with a club", when I realized they had somehow mistaken me for a monk.. Yeah, had to be flattered with that. Maybe it was my tattered brown beachbones t shirt and the perfect sarong picked by Sarah for me to wear that had them fooled. I was in hopes it was the deep look of contemplation on my Simian Brow, the errrrrrr intelligence and understanding in my salt and sand crusted eyes or more likely, or the explosive excitement of finally marrying Sarah on the beach that afternoon, that had convinced them I in fact not only had seen the face of the universe but had a weekly golf date.
Sarah came out of her longer meditation session to catch the smirk on my face. Just had to tell her that I was so happy, I could even appear Monkley to those mildly impaired by altitude sickness and a very generous heart. Maybe that couple vicariously felt the peace and energy of my happiest day with the icing of Kauai's surf, sand and energy thrown in.
My old bud Dave Dabiri just called. His flight just landed from China, he had some info for us on nice materials from all over the globe and oh yeah, how is the wind up the coast right now as there are white caps down here on the PCH at the California Grade... Yeah Dave,it is blowing up at Malibu.. Go get it.. There's a DaVinchi exhibit up at the Getty museum today and Grego is having a little ceremony down at his place. Hmmmm, Whatever we don't do, doesn't matter as our friends will fill us in..
It's all fun.
Monk for a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home